E-News for December 2018
- Accurate Supply Ltd. — Associate Member
In the Press
- 2018 drilling activity flat year-over-year
BNN Bloomberg, November 29, 2018. Story here.
- Tax breaks for oilpatch ‘band aid’ solutions unlikely to spur investment
Calgary Herald, November 23, 2018. Story here.
- Rachel Notley unveils carbon tax break for oil and gas drilling companies
Global News, November 22, 2018. Story here.
- Varcoe: A deafening silence from Trudeau on solving Canada’s oil-price crisis
Calgary Herald, November 22, 2018. Story here.
- Varcoe: ‘As a Canadian, it sickens me’ – Frustrated oilpatch eyes less spending as discount deepens
Calgary Herald, November 20, 2018. Story here.
New Events / Items
- 2019 Rig Inventory & Directory updates
- We are working on our annual fleet listings and contact info updates for our 2019 Rig Inventory & Directory, so please keep an eye out for a proof of your Drilling and Service Rig info over the next few weeks. For more information, contact Krystle Holdegaard.
- 2019 Rig Data Subscription Rate Increase
October 2018 marks the five year anniversary of CAODC collecting rig data. We have re-evaluated the importance and value of CAODC data in the marketplace and have determined that the subscription rate needs to be increased. As such, the 2019 rate for a Rig Data subscription will be $750 per year. Invoices were sent out at the beginning of December.
- Executive Committee Member Application Form
The CAODC Drilling Executive Committee and Service Rig Executive Committee provide valuable support to management and the Board of Directors on safety, business and technical issues that directly impact member companies. The volunteer members for each Executive Committee are appointed by the Board to serve a two-year term. If you would like to be considered for membership on one of these committees, please completed the Executive Committee Application Form. The deadline for submitting applications is December 31, 2018. For more information contact Mark Scholz, President, firstname.lastname@example.org. Click here for a link to the pdf (Executive Committee Member Application Form).
- Potential Speaker Series topic
We're looking for keynote speaker suggestions for upcoming Speaker Series events. To pitch your idea for a great speaker, drop us a note at email@example.com.
- Register to Vote
Remind your staff and colleagues to register to vote for the upcoming elections. Federal Election: Register online here. AB Provincial Election: Register online here.
- 2019 CAODC Associate Memberships are available!
Know a company that might want to join the CAODC? Apply for your membership now and get access to your benefits early! (memberships expire December 31, 2019). Apply online or email questions to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Bulletins / Safety Alerts
- General Information Bulletin: G-18-09 — ESC Common Safety Orientation: Price Reduction and Multiple Registration Option
- To accelerate early and broad industry adoption to a single safety orientation. Energy Safety Canada is introducing a tiered discount program and multiple registration options for the Common Safety Orientation (CSO). To access a copy of this bulletin, click here.
- Technical Information Bulletin: T-18-04 — Tubing Elevator Level 4 Inspection Issues, Cautionary Notice
A CAODC Service Rig member received a set of center latch 3.5” EUE tubing elevators that was not signed off by a professional engineer or OEM agent. To access a copy of this bulletin, click here.
- Legal Information Bulletin: L-18-02 — Fall Protection and Fall Rescue for Rig Work Expiration Date
Energy Safety Canada and the CAODC take the position that the certificate of completion received by employees for the Fall Protection Training does not expire and therefore does not require renewal once completed. To access a copy of this bulletin, click here.
- Government of Alberta — New PSI Definition
The Government of Alberta has revised the definition of Potentially Serious Incident (PSI). To see the revised definition, click here.
Conferences / Courses / Meetings
- CAODC Annual Luncheon (March 29, 2019 in Calgary, AB)
- The Luncheon is the Association's most significant annual event and represents an opportunity to connect with your fellow CAODC members. Registration information will be available in the coming months. Sponsorship opportunities are available here.
- Fracking with Jello (January 19, 2019 in Calgary, AB)
Learn about the science behind oil and gas, how it works and what it looks like. Check out a rig simulator and try some hands on experiments! For all ages. Snacks will be provided by the SAIT Culinary School. To register, click here.
- Energy Conference Network – Blockchain in Oil and Gas Canada (February 12, 2019 in Calgary, AB)
This conference will be hosted from 8 a.m. – 5 p.m. Over the past year, there has been wide recognition that blockchain will impact and disrupt oil and gas across multiple use cases. Learn from experts in the industry about blockchain technology and how to develop the right solutions for your company. To register, click here. CAODC members use code CAODC20 to receive 20% off
- Energy Conference Network – IoT in Oil and Gas Canada 2019 (February 13-14, 2019 in Calgary, AB)
This conference will be hosted from 8 a.m. – 5 p.m. The IoT in Oil & Gas 2019 Conference will continue to focus on helping operators drive down costs and increase efficiencies. The 2019 program will see an evolution of topics, with more case studies as the technology becomes more embedded in the industry. To register, click here. CAODC members use code CAODC20 to receive 20% off
- Alberta Health and Safety Conference (February 21-22, 2019 in Edmonton, AB)
Alberta's premier health & safety event featuring two keynote presentations, three blockbuster sessions, 12 conference sessions, and approx. 80 trade show exhibitors. Join them on February 21 and 22, 2019 at the Shaw Conference Centre, Edmonton Alberta. To register, click here.
- Energy Connect Virtual Conference and Expo (May 21-22, 2019)
A place where oil and gas professionals convene to engage in dialogue, create partnerships, do business and identify the solutions and strategies that will shape the industry for the years ahead. The Energy Connect Virtual Tradshow and Conference is dedicated to create the most accessible oil and gas events globally. To register, click here.
- Global Petroleum Show (June 11-13, 2019 in Calgary, AB)
CAODC members who book 2019 GPS exhibition space before December 21, 2018, will get an All Access Pass (valued at $2,000). These three-day passes will grant access to Technical, Strategic & CGEF Conferences, Strategic Conference Opening Plenary, daily access to Global Market Seminar Series, and one ticket to the GPS Awards Gala, and other networking events. Click here to book space.
- Save Canadian Jobs
- Save Canadian Jobs is a coalition of concerned Canadians who are worried about a bill that is making its way through the Senate: Bill C-69. Join a coalition of like-minded Canadians and make sure the Senate knows it’s time to fix Bill C-69 here.
- Shop Oil Respect
Looking for the perfect gift for that special someone, or yourself? Shop toques, t-shirts and tanks that support the Canadian oil and gas industry here.
- The Winter issue of The Hitch is in production and will be out before the end of December.
- Pick up The Hitch: In addition to member copies that get mailed out, you can pick up copies of The Hitch at the Leduc #1 Energy Discovery Centre, Wellsite Masters Ltd., MAS-Pro Supply (Red Deer and Grande Prairie), or here at the CAODC office.
- Back issues of The Hitch: Click here for access to full issues going back to 2008.
- Advertise: Please consider running an ad in The Hitch, the Hitch blog, or our upcoming Rig Inventory & Directory to be published in December 2018. We also encourage members to consider running an advertorial or sponsoring a Hitch Report product review for The Hitch. Advertising revenue helps support Association activities throughout the year. Please contact Nancie Prive, marketing coordinator at Media Edge at email@example.com, for more information.
- We Need You! We at The Hitch are always looking for story ideas and photos. Consider submitting yours to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Social Media: We want to hear from you! Join our conversations on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram.